Friday, November 23, 2012

Watercolour?

I have been considering using watercolour to paint the skull, as I am drawn to its transparent and liquid properties, which would create a 'sad' feeling. Watercolour painting involves using water-soluble pigments, often bought in tubes, and is used to create artistic representations on paper. Wet-on-wet is a particular technique whereby the pigment is applied directly to wet paper, subsequently allowing the colours to mix to form new shades and a fluid image (What is Watercolour Painting?, 2012). Marion Bolognesi is a watercolour artist who paints faces, often just the eyes and mouth, to capture the emotion, allowing the watercolours to drip and depict the image of crying eyes. This is contrasted with bright colours, an image of beauty, which hides the weeping soul (Marion Bolognesi Watercolour Faces, 2010).
 
This is my attempt at a watercolour painting, as inspired by Marion Bolognesi, where I tried to use colour to depict a mask hiding the crying insides of the girl. I decided to focus on the eyes, in order to create a minimalistic image, without distractions from other irrelevant facial features. As a critique, I think my choice of colours could be better chosen, possibly just using cool colours to express sadness. I also don't feel like I fully captured the emotion of the crying eyes. 






Marion Bolognesi Watercolour Faces. (2010). Retrieved November 23, 2012, from Trendland: http://trendland.com/marion-bolognesi-watercolor-faces/

What is Watercolour Painting? (2012). Retrieved November 23, 2012, from Wise Geek: http://www.wisegeek.com/what-is-watercolor-painting.htm



0 comments:

Post a Comment